Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
Be it ever so humble, there is nothing quite like Mac & Cheese.
It’s cheap, it’s cheerful, it’s like a great big warm hug from your Gran. With Autumn approaching, this is the perfect friday night comfort meal to make for your tribe.
It works really well as a side dish with some grilled chicken or beef and can be made and frozen for a fast midweek meal. Just defrost overnight in the fridge, heat and serve.
- 250g macaroni
- 1kg pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 50g butter
- 500ml milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 x clove garlic, crushed
- 100g baby spinach
- 5 large basil leaves
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1½ cups cheese (mix of tasty, mozzarella and parmesan) saving 1 x small handful for garnish
- Peel & dice your pumpkin and roast on a flat tray in a hot (200deg) oven for approx 20 mins or until tender;
- Roughly chop your spinach & basil and set aside;
- Cook your macaroni as directed;
- Whilst your pasta is cooking, put your butter to melt in a saucepan on low heat (3min/100deg/Speed1);
- Add flour and whisk until all lumps are removed. (3mins/100deg/Speed 1) ;
- Add your S & P and then gradually add the milk a little at a time, continually whisking, until all lumps are removed and you have a nice semi- thick consistency. (4min/90deg/Speed4);
- Add your grated cheeses and continue whisking until well combined (2mins/90deg/Speed4)
- Combine all ingredients in an oven proof dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and a final handful of cheese;
- Bake for 20mins or until golden and bubbly