Mexican Quinoa Casserole
This easy casserole is perfect for those nights when you need dinner on the table quick smart!
It’s not only quick and easy but healthy too, with the quinoa making it a much lighter and healthier version than simply using a grain (such as rice).
The mexican flavours work so well and although it may not look much, I promise you will not be disappointed!
After making this I would suggest you could also add sweet corn kernels to the mix to increase the vegetable content and some chopped fresh avocado on the top would be a winner too!
Leftovers are yummy and can be frozen for super delish hot work/school lunches.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 1 jar enchilada sauce
- 1 large tomato (chopped)
- ½ large red onion (diced)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon mexican chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 handfuls chopped corriander (reserve 1 for garnish)
- 2 handfuls grated tasty cheese (reserve 1 for topping)
- 2 handfuls grated mozzarella cheese (reserve 1 for topping)
- Chopped green chilli's to taste (optional)
- Sour cream and chopped corriander to serve
- Cook quinoa according to packet directions and set aside to cool;
- Once cooled, add to a casserole dish along with the beans, spices, S&P, corriander, tomato, onion, chilli's (if using) sauce and 1 x handful of each type of cheese and mix well to combine;
- Top with the remaining 2 x handfuls of cheese and place into a preheated oven at 200 deg C for approx. 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly;
- Serve topped with sour cream and corriander.