It’s a Salad in a Jar (of course!)
It seems some of you have been asking us to test out this cute little concept…a Salad in a Jar.
I love Pinterest as much as the next person, however I was a tad skeptical about this…Does It work? Would it get soggy? Can you eat it from the Jar? Well, here’s what I thought…
The salad you see here was made from my leftovers however I must just say it was really good. I may well cook it again just to have it as a meal on its own! My layers consisted of:
- Garlic & Olive Oil Dressing
- Grape Tomatoes
- Red & Yellow Capsicum
- Leftover Steak (Jamie Oliver Smokey Spice Rubbed..)
- Goats Cheese
- Mixed Lettuce and Basil
The top tips I learned are thus:
1. Order your layers like this: Dressing, Vegetables, Meat/Cheese/other stuff (nuts etc) and salad on the top (as far away from the dressing as possible)
2. You need to pack stuff in the jar as tightly as you can so it can’t move around. If it does, you risk your salad getting all soggy.
3. Keep your jar upright. Sounds obvious, but if it accidentally tips over in your handbag (because you always keep a salad in there right?!) your dressing will drip all the way down the lettuce at the top and the whole thing will be ruined.
You can eat this from the jar quite easily. It’s a bit of a pain in the ass as you need to keep picking and moving the salad around to get a good forkful of everything – but hey – it works. Your best bet is to just upend the whole thing onto a plate. The dressing falls lovingly over the top of the whole dish and it looks fabulous with no effort at all. Win!