Slow Cooker Chicken – Hainan Style
I love Hainan Chicken. I also love my slow cooker. So I figured even though its not traditional AT ALL, I may as well have a go of cooking an all-in-the-pot-at-once type of slow cooker Chicken in the Hainan Style.
This dish is lovely. Very plain, hardly any ingredients are used and the flavours meld so nicely together – it’s really yum! Of course as I said, it’s nowhere near done the traditional way, I just wanted an easy way to cook the chicken and get the same flavours at the end.
I have never cooked rice in the slow cooker before and I must admit I did slightly overcook it, but it still tasted fabulous and the kids wolfed it down so YAY! Its a win. (BTW, I have made the recipe with the altered times so your rice should be perfect).
- 1 x Free Range Chicken
- 1 Cup Jasmine Rice
- 1.5 Cups Water
- 2 x Cloves Garlic
- 1 x Thumb sized Piece of Ginger
- 2 x Spring Onions
- 2 x Tablespoons Peanut Oil
- For Serving:
- Ketchup Manis
- Chilli Sauce
- Turn your slow cooker on to High;
- Place your chicken in the pot along with the water. Pop the lid on and cook for 2 hours;
- After 2 hrs, you should see the chicken is almost done and the juices have leeched out and made a great chicken broth;
- Finely chop half of your Garlic and Ginger and set aside for later;
- Take the other half of the garlic and ginger and crush them, and bruise the spring onions up a little;
- Have your rice at the ready too, as you want to have the lid off the slow cooker for as little time as possible;
- When you are ready to go, quickly lift the lid of the slow cooker and remove about a half cup of broth. Reserve this for later;
- Pour the rice evenly around the chicken into the broth, and add in the garlic, ginger and spring onions. You may want to give it a little stir. Check your water levels - you want the rice to be just covered by the broth. Add some water if there is not enough;
- Put the lid back on and set your timer for another 2hrs;
- Mix your reserved chicken broth with the peanut oil and finely chopped ginger and garlic. Keep for Serving;
- When your timer is done, carefully test your rice. It should be cooked perfectly and not mushy!
- Serve some rice into a bowl and top with some slices of the chicken. Serve with your Garlic Sauce, Chilli Sauce, Cucumber Slices and Corriander leaves.