These tempting little Tapas treats are perfect for a party or an easy dinner anytime!
I made three different items to serve up for my girls this week and they all tasted fabulous:)
Our selection consisted of Eggplant and Cheese Bites, Tuna & Pea Croquettes and Spicy Beef Meatballs. All 3 items are easily made up in advance and kept in the fridge until you are ready to cook and serve. I cooked my meatballs in a pan and the Eggplant Bites and Croquettes I deep fried in hot oil. I am sharing the Eggplant Bites as today’s recipe as you won’t believe how incredibly easy they are to make!!
- 12 thin slices eggplant
- 12 squares of tasty cheese
- ½ cup flour
- 1 x egg - beaten
- Toothpicks to secure
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Heat your oil in a saucepan;
- Slice your cheese and eggplant (using a large eggplant is the way to go here - the baby types just won't work);
- Take one slice of eggplant and fold in half you you have a half circle shape. Place a piece of cheese between the two sides and secure with a toothpick. Continue until all have been finished;
- quickly coat in your flour, egg and then breadcrumb mixture. Don't worry about it being perfect, as long as each gets a fairly decent covering!;
- Test the oil for temperature and once ready, quickly fry the eggplant bites in batches. Don't do too many at once!;
- They only need cooking for a minute or two, once they look lovely and golden, remove to a plate with a little kitchen paper to soak up the extra oil;
- Once all have been cooked, sprinkle with a little salt and serve immediately!