Garlic Mushrooms with Toast
Upon visiting our local Farmers’ Markets last weekend, I spied the Mushroom Guy (that’s not really his name by the way, its probably Dave or Matt or something pretty normal…).
At $10 for 200g, these were not exactly cheap mushrooms, however his selection was huge and all I could think about was Garlic Mushrooms on Toast. I looked at Himself and I knew he was thinking the same thing (agh! Love!). Despite being $10 poorer, I knew I was just about to be much, much richer when my belly got its fill of these fabulous fungi.
I chose a selection of Chestnut, Enoki, King Brown, Black Wood Ear and something else which I think was a wild Slippery Jack however I’m not entirely sure. If you make this recipe at home please don’t just use boring button mushrooms. Find some different varieties and I promise you, it will be worth your while. If all you can find is button mushrooms – go make a chocolate cake instead:)
- 200g Mixed Mushrooms
- 2 Slices Bread (Sourdough is fabulous with this, however any bread will do)
- 1 x large clove garlic - crushed
- 50g butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a pan to medium and throw in your butter and garlic;
- Cook for a minute or so, being sure not to let the butter burn;
- Meanwhile put your toast on to cook;
- Add your mushrooms to the pan and toss gently in the butter;
- Cook for a minute or two at the most, taste & season to your liking and then divide between your slices of toast.