Charred Chicken and Bulgar Wheat Salad
Don’t you just love a good chicken salad? I sure do.
Last week I was planning on making one with couscous when Himself suggested using Bulgar Wheat instead. “Kind of like a tabouleh with chicken” says he. Well – it worked out a treat and you need to try it! Its healthy and full of tasty flavours.
- 1 cup Bulgar Wheat
- 2 cups Water
- 2 x Chicken Breasts
- 1 x teaspoon Ras El Hanout
- 1 x teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1 x teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1 x teaspoon Paprika
- 1 x teaspoon dried Oregano flakes
- 10 x Cherry Tomatoes, quartered
- 1 x small bunch fresh Parsley - chopped finely
- 1 x small bunch fresh Mint - chopped finely
- 1 x large handful Almonds, crushed or chopped roughly
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Juice of ½ large Lemon
- Olive Oil
- Bring your water to the boil in a saucepan and once boiling, remove from the heat, stir in your Bulgar Wheat, cover and set aside for 20 mins;
- Take a sheet of baking paper (or a large silicone baking sheet) and spread half your spices evenly over one side;
- Add your chicken onto of this and sprinkle the remaining spices over the top;
- Grab a rolling pin or similar and whack your chicken so all the fillets are a similar thickness. This will also help the spices to get stuck on the chicken;
- Heat your BBQ or Grill and cook your chicken until charred and done. Cover & rest;
- Move your Wheat to a serving bowl and mix through the chopped tomatoes and herbs;
- Now chop one chicken fillet into large chunks and mix through the salad.
- Make a vinaigrette by mixing your Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Salt and pepper to taste. Pour over your salad and mix through well. (Not too much - you don't want it sloppy!);
- Slice the other chicken breast into nice thin strips and place on top of the salad. Add some Mint or Parsley leaves for garnish.
Serve and Enjoy! This is such a nice light meal – perfect for easy summer entertaining. Why not try it at your place tonight?!!