French Prawn Rolls
These prawn rolls are the ultimate seafood indulgence. Hot, buttery, crunchy baguettes filled with cold, creamy prawns and a mouthful of flavours that will certainly tempt your tastebuds.
Trust me when I tell you – these will be very, VERY popular!! I learnt this recipe at a French cooking class with my FIL, however I changed a few things around from the original (just can’t help myself can I??!). Personally, I think my changes give it a bit of an extra freshness and zing. You will have people raving about these!!
- 1 x large handful crispy lettuce leaves
- One half x baguette per person
- Lots of butter, softened
- Pickled Red Onions
- ½ cup White sugar
- ½ cup Champagne vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 x Red Onion, sliced thinly
- 1 x Egg yolk
- 1 x Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 x Teaspoon Champagne vinegar
- 1 x cup (or so) Vegetable Oil
- Salt & White pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 x Lemon, to taste
- 1kg cooked peeled prawns, chopped into pieces
- 1 x teasp. truffle oil
- 1 x green Shallot, chopped very finely
- 1 x stick Celery, chopped very finely
- 1 x teasp. fresh Tarragon, chopped finely
- 2 x teasp. fresh Dill, chopped finely
- 2 x teasp. Lime juice (or so)
- Salt & White Pepper, to taste
- Enough of your Mayonnaise to create a generous, creamy mixture
- Preheat your oven to 200DegC;
- Split your baguettes through the middle of the top (not quite all the way through) and spread the insides and outer top liberally with butter. Place on an oven tray & set aside;
- Make your onions by combining all of the pickled onion ingredients into a small pan. Bring to the boil and then reduce for approx. 4- 6 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan, pour off any excess juices and set aside;
- Make your mayonnaise (either by hand with a whisk or in a thermie or food processor) by adding the egg yolk, mustard & vinegar and whisking until well combined and slightly fluffy. Slowly add your oil, a few drops at a time at first until the mixture starts to come together. You can now add the oil in a thin, slow and steady stream as you continue to whisk furiously. Add your salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste, then set aside*;
- Make your Prawn Mixture by combining all those ingredients in a bowl. Adjust the flavours until you are happy and chill in the fridge till you are ready;
- Now, place your Baguettes in the oven for 5 minutes or so until they are crispy and golden. Remove and allow to cool slightly before filling with a Lettuce leaf, a few generous scoops of the Prawn Mixture and top it all of with a sprinkling of Pickled Onions.
- Serve immediately!!
- * NOTE: If your Mayonnaise splits, you can save it!! Take another bowl and another egg yolk and whisk (best to do this by hand). Slowly add small amounts of the split mixture, whisking continually the whole time. You should find that the Mayonnaise will bring itself back together. Hey Presto! You Did It!!
Keep a lookout in the coming weeks as I share another French Bistro recipe that goes perfectly well with these rolls!!