Worldly Wednesday – Chicken Rollatini with Spinach alla Parmigiana
I’ve been doing the rounds of the Internet and Pinterest lately, looking for recipe inspiration. In particular, things that I can make extra of and freeze and cook or reheat at a later date, to make my days easier before I head off to work in the evening.
I came across the Skinnytaste website via Pinterest, the recipes look delicious, and I love that the categories are so well set up. I can search for egg free recipes for Master O at the click of one link, and there are so many different categories and food types – LOVE!
This Chicken Rollatini with Spinach alla Parmigiana recipe caught my eye as I’d seen people talking about it on the Once A Month Mom site and saying that they froze them after baking and then just reheated as needed. Perfect for our needs.
I’ve decided to give this a go, and if the whole family loves it, I’ll make a big batch and freeze them.
The original recipe can be found here, but I’ve converted the recipe to Australian measurements and products below…
Chicken Rollatini with Spinach alla Parmigiana
8 thin chicken cutlets (I used 2 large skinless chicken breasts which I sliced thinly. That gave me 4 really nice pieces and a few scrappy ones which I squished together and used)
1/2 cup whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (I couldn’t find something similar here, and I’d used up all my frozen bread ends, so Krummies it was, they have multigrain for a healthier option)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese – keep aside 2 tablespoons from the rest.
6 tablespoons egg whites or no-egg – keep aside 2 tablespoons (I used the no egg and whisked it up a bit – it was perfectly fine)
150gm frozen spinach, squeezed dry of any liquid
170 gm of ricotta cheese (low fat if so desired)
45gm of mozarella (I used grated, but if you have a ball of bufallo that would be awesome, sliced thinly!)
Olive oil non-stick spray
1 cup of pomodoro or marinara sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
- Pat dry cutlets, season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 220°. Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Combine breadcrumbs and the 2 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese in one bowl and 1/4 cup of no-egg or egg whites in seperate bowl
- Shred or finely chop 45gm of mozzarella cheese and combine with remaining grated cheese, spinach (make sure you squeeze it dry), 2 tbsp egg or no-egg, and ricotta cheese.
- Lay chicken fillets down on a working surface and spread 2 tbsp of spinach-cheese mixture on each cutlet. Loosely roll each one and keep seam side down.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in breadcrumbs and place seam side down in a baking dish (no toothpicks needed). Repeat with the remaining chicken. When finished, lightly spray with olive oil.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, top with sauce then cheese
- Bake until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 more minutes. Serve with additional sauce on the side and grated cheese.
And because I didn’t use the whole amount of chicken called for in the recipe, I had enough of the filling left over to make a couple of spinach and ricotta pastries for my dinner when I went to work. Yum!
Oh and both kids ate the rollatinis – FTW!