Easy fruit snacks – yum!
Pinterest how I love thee…
I came across a pin for this Fruit Snacks blog post from Six Sister’s Stuff blog the other day. Being Australian, I hadn’t tried the fruit snacks they we’re talking about, but I figured since I had the ingredients I’d give it a go, what did I have to lose (aside from a pack of jelly) and what do you know? They worked! I’ve since made another three batches. I don’t like jelly much, the consistency makes my tummy turn, but I love these, they are kind of like a cross between jelly snakes and jubes…
So here is the Australian version!
A mold – I had a silicon star ice cube tray from Ikea – though I’m looking for a smaller one now, so it makes ‘more’
1 pack of jelly (I used the 25% less sugar, natural colours & flavours one)
3 teaspoons of powdered gelatin
1/3 cup cold water
- Pop your water in a small saucepan/pot
- Pour over your jelly crystals and gelatin
- Heat over a medium heat. Stir until all the gelatin is dissolved. I then crank it up until it is just boiling for about 20 seconds. I personally think it makes the jelly clearer
- Pour into your mold and leave to set. I pop it in the fridge to speed up the process, but it’s really quick, only an hour or two in the fridge
- Remove from mold carefully, you may need to slip a knife between the mold to loosen the jellies
- Store in an airtight container…
The mix is quite sticky, but they are fine once they have firmed up. They have a really similar texture to the chai masala jellies that Mixotrophy made for the ‘Tea’ Sweet Adventures Blog Hop– however, these are kid (and Mummy & Daddy) friendly!