Its Worldly Wednesday again and it was our plan to link up with the Sweet Adventures Blog Hop for this months theme of Layer Upon Layer.
For us this means layer upon layer of light cakey, berry, creamy goodness.
Sadly, I got my dates confused, and thought I’d be able to join in still today, but alas the linkup closed on Monday. So I totally suggest checking out The Capers of the Kitchen Crusader and her pretty delicious looking Rose, Pear and Hazelnut Baklava and all the other linked up layered delicacies anyway!
So mixups aside, this past week, I’ve had Miss Mixotrophy and her trusty Thermie Thermomix whipping up a frenzy of layered sponge cake goodness. For the non-thermies – don’t fret and read on because I have a link to a guaranteed awesome sponge cake recipe for you!
Miss Mixotrophy found this recipe over at The Bush Gourmand – you can find it on her blog – along with lots of other yummy recipes!
No Fail Thermomix Sponge
4 large eggs 100g castor sugar (or blitz your sugar in the Thermomix first)
100g wheaten cornflour (also known as wheat starch)
70g custard powder (we used the Orgran brand that is all natural ingredients)
1 tsp plain flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp bi-carb soda
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a 20cm deep sided tin with baking paper. (We thought we might need two tins, so prepared a baby tin too – not required in the end…)
- Place butterfly into Thermomix bowl. Add eggs and beat on speed 4 for 8 minutes. While this is beating, sift flour onto baking paper twice. Scrape down lid.
- Add sugar and beat on speed 4 for 3 minutes.
- Remove butterfly. Add flour and mix on speed 1 – 2 for about 20 seconds.
- Pour into tin and bake for 25 minutes.
- Turn out onto wire rack and remove paper. Carefully turn over. Allow to cool.
Once cooled, Miss Mixotrophy very carefully sliced it into three sections…
Then its all about the decorating…(raspberry jam and cream filled) and fresh strawberries and cream on top.
But to be honest, it’s all about the eating baby – yeah!
And as I said before, don’t despair if (like me) you don’t have a thermomix – head on over to The View from My Porch where Steve Cumper (from the oh so wonderful Red Velvet Lounge) shows you step-by-step how to make a sponge cake worthy of his to-die-for range of cakes at RVL (hello flourless chocolate cake)…